Monday, March 19, 2012

Dragonboat Team runs

For the last couple of weeks (probably more like 8 weeks now?) my dragon boat club has been doing team runs on Monday nights.  We all get together (by we I mean about 5-10 of us) and go out for a 30-40 minute run-- with everyone running at their own pace.  At the halfway point everyone would turn around and run back so that we would all end up finishing about the same time... well at this point, I had broken my foot and was unable to run with the team.  So, instead of team runs I would spend 60 mins in the gym (it always took them 10-20 mins to corral everyone and get going so i would get a head start) doing cardio, mostly on the recombinant bike.  I was told by my ortho that I was not allowed to do elliptical or anything else that would put pressure on my foot.  So i was restricted to basically the bike, and sometimes the seated row.   Even after I got my walking cast off, I was still hesitant in going out for the runs -- I had attempted it before at the end of Feb on a treadmill and lasted 2 mins before my foot started to hurt so i stopped and switched to elliptical.  So, today was the first day I felt good enough (plus it was gorgeous outside, so I didnt want to be stuck in the gym) to go outside for a run-- and hmm what a run it was.   I probably ran 4 miles, though Nike Run told me i did 5 and some change, in about 45 mins or so-- which is fairly decent since well i've not really run since before last October (had a plantar facititis flare right before the Baltimore Marathon series).  I was running 10 min miles before and from what I can tell I was running sub-10 min miles today, yippie!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...