Thursday, September 6, 2012

House of Dolittle Planner Review

I received 2 planners from Shoplet for review.  
The following were received: Wirebound Weekly Monthly Planner and Monthly Desk Planner

Upon inspecting the package I received--- at first I thought I would get a smaller package.. since I didnt realize i was getting a desk planner.  I dont typically use a desk planner at work nor at home, so we'll see how this goes.  Its currently sitting on top of my really messy desk (i have to file a LOT of stuff).

I quickly tore opened the weekly planner packet.  Since I anticipate this is the planner I will mostly use, we'll go over it first. The planner is a full letter page (8.5 x 11).  Sadly, its not an academic planner so my anticipation of using it now for classes was a bit misguided, but no fear I'll just use it in January once we get there.  I can use it now for ahead planning purposes etc.   The cover is pretty thick paper?  Per the website, its a embossed simulated leather -- water repellent at least so it'll be good for when i spill coffee everywhere on my desk.  

IMG_1442 IMG_1456 IMG_1454

It has both monthly calendars and a weekly vertical with appointments ranging from 8am to 8pm on the hour -- there are 2 line spaces per hour.   Helpful but not quite what I like in a planner i like my hours broken up if i get an hourly breakdown by the quarter hour -- it just makes it easier for me for work.  It also has a memo section beneath each day of the week.  What i do love about this is that Saturday and Sunday get full spaces, not like most planners that give you a puny space for the weekends -- if you saw my circa planner review, I have very full weekends and this makes it usable for work as well as outside of work.  Holidays are written in at the top of the particular day  next to the date.
  
The monthly calendars are tabbed which i like since I love tabs and it makes it easier for me to find a particular month/date.  Each month is displayed as a full spread (2 pages) with plenty of space for you to write appointments, etc.  Holidays are written out at the bottom of the day.  In addition, there is a notes section to the far right as well as 6 months calendar at top -- 1 month prior, current month and then 4 months in the future. 

IMG_1453 IMG_1458


In addition to the calendar section, there is plenty of extras.  There is a page after the last week in December with a couple of years in the future (2013, 2014, 2015) with dates of importance (Holidays -- mostly US/CAN) next to it.  The next page shows a time zone map and a frequent call list.  After that comes memos, and an emergency contact page.

IMG_1464 IMG_1465 IMG_1466

IMG_1468 IMG_1470

Pros?

  •  calendar that encompasses both monthly and weekly calendars
  •  a lot of room to write notes/appointments
  •  breakdown of hours by 30 mins, (2 lines per hr)
  •  the entire calendar is printed on recycled paper with soy ink.  Very earth conscious.
  • cover seems water resistant -- havent tested this property
  • week is broken down vertically --- most planners are horizontal
  • looks to be gel pen safe and maybe fountain pen safe -- with the couple of tests that i did, but didnt do a LOT of testing.

IMG_1462 IMG_1461


Cons?

  • i am liable to tear the cover even though it looks to be tear resistant
  • the pages stick on the bottom ( rings arent wide enough?)
  • i like my day breakdowns to start earlier in the day (6 or 7am)
  • I like my  planner if they are vertical week/page for it to have quarter hour breakdowns not half hour breakdowns.
All in all i like the planner, but since it starts in January I have to patiently hold onto it until then to test it out.




Where to Purchase?


Other Reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...